The Importance of Details

One recent morning I received an e-mail inviting me to attend an event that was to occur in a couple of days. The invitation was from a community leader who had formed a monthly discussion group regarding an issue that was important to the community. Indeed, this person is what I would call a great community builder. I had been to the discussion group a year earlier and found it well-intended, but lacking very much honesty among the discussants, myself included. I decided to give it – and me – another chance even if I had to squeeze it in around other appointments.

Now to make my reservation. I was already feeling better for making the decision to attend. The e-mail message instructed me call a certain person at a certain number. I called and asked to speak to the designated person. A rather gruff voice said, “She’s not here. Would you like her voicemail?” I replied in the affirmative and was connected to the voicemail of a man who was obviously not the right person. I hung up and called back. It was instant replay. By now I was frustrated. So much so that I decided that if the group did not have its act together any more than that I would not attend.

Then I started thinking. Was this my excuse for not attending an event that I “should” attend, or did I have a responsibility to overlook the poor execution of details by the organizer? I wondered how many others had called and decided not to attend the event because of the telephone snafu. After I made my decision, I reflected on how important it is to pay attention to the DETAILS when putting on an event.

Popular posts from this blog

The Two Most Admirable Qualities in a Leader

PUBLIC SPEAKING FOR PEOPLE WHO DON’T DO PUBLIC SPEAKING

Your town's name may be a big asset.